I’ve been having a lot of bake sale’s this week in Byron Bay. You know ever since coming to Byron, I knew I wanted to set up stall and put something out there to the universe to sell. And you know when you’ve ben thinking of doing something for so long but never end up doing it and it just goes in this big loop where NOTHING happens. Well, I had enough of it so I set up a fucking bake sale for a whole week LOL.
I posted this on Instagram and got a lot of wonderful feedback from lovely people from back at home Ottawa and in Byron. Means a lot guys… really does. So I wanted to put this recipe up which is the first dessert I put up for sale, DRUM ROLL PLEASE… ORGANIC BEETROOT BROWNIES!! AND THEIR VEGAN YEW!!!! OK so I tried this recipe VEGAN and NON-VEGAN and I found that they actually taste the same so I’d go with the Vegan recipe because that also caters to a more people too!
Alrighty, so the base of this is mainly using Certified Organic Beetroot which is the main base of your Brownie plus some Cacao to get that fudge-y taste.
Here’s the recipe I used to make these goodies. Incredibly easy to make like ming blowing easy, and taste SO GOOD. Guilt-free cause you’re using all that good shit in your dessert. (Well better shit then the regular shit if you know what I mean).
K here it is.
2 Large Beetroots
1 Cup 70% Dark Cacao Chocolate
1/3 Cup Vegan Butter
1 Cup Organic Coconut Sugar
3 Tablespoon Chia Seed
6 Tablespoon Filtered Water
1/2 Certified Organic Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/3 Certified Organic Cacao Powder (I used Loving Earth’s)
Splash of Activated Almond + Coconut Milk
Powdered Sugar to Dust (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Wash your Beetroot and cut off both ends of the veggie. Peel them with the peeler. Cut them up in cubes so that they can be blended easy in your blender. Blend those beets until you get a nice puree.
3. On your stove top, add in your beetroot puree, 70% cacao chocolate, coconut sugar, and butter in a saucepan. Let that melt in together and keep stirring to get the mixture well mixed. Should take about 5-8 minutes for mixing. While your beetroot puree is doing it’s thang, take a small bowl and add it in your chia seed and water together as this creates a “Chia Egg” which takes about 20 minutes to become a chia egg. Back to the beetroot magic, once it starts to bubble take it off the stove top.
4. Shift your dry ingredients in a separate bowl; flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cacao. Add in the Beetroot Magic puree into the dry ingredients and mix, mix, mix!! Add in your splash of milk of choice and just thin out the mixture a bit. By this time, your chia egg should be ready. The “Chia egg” looks thick from the chia seeds absorbing the water. Once it’s ready, throw the chia eggs into the mixture and mix, mix, mix!!
5. Our mixture into pan of choice and smooth out the top. Optional: chop up some pistachios to add on top.
6. Pop it in the oven for about 20 minutes.
7. After the Brownie has cooled off, can top off with extra pistachios, powdered sugar, and strawberry! Yum.
Enjoy this delish take on brownie, def the Byron style haha!!! For real too like if you come to Byron you’ll see all the cafes have Vegan Beetroot Brownies lawllllll. HIPPIE LIFE YEW
Cheers xx luv u and do shit you wanna do.